Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Marathon Wednesday

Today, I may have set a length record for teaching on a summer day. I went from 9:30 until 11:30, and then again nonstop from 1:30 until 8. While Wednesdays are long during the year as well (the subject of an earlier post), it seems even more so in the summer because all the lessons are back-to-back-to-back, without even the seven minutes between classes that happen during the school year. Even though I'm scheduled for this long time every week, at least one person is usually on vacation every week. Today, everyone was here.

I figured I'd be toast when the day was over, but I wasn't. Not at all. Perhaps it's easier to just go without stopping, to keep the momentum up. Maybe it was the piece of Dingus Cake I had during a two-minute break while someone was putting their horn together (I've always wondered about the blood-sugar drop during those long teaching sessions). At any rate, it felt great, which is good to know, seeing as how this is my busiest summer of teaching ever and there'll be more days like today.

Wait...how does that work? Evidently, the Internet went out at the college today. They notified everyone of this problem by...sending them an email? Yup, that's exactly what happened. I can't wait until they try to call everyone to tell them that the phones have gone out...

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "So then, I just need to lower my liver a little bit?"--A student who was trying to get her low notes to come out better. The word she actually meant to say was "lungs."

No comments: