Wednesday, June 23, 2004

This is hilarious...

Longtime readers know that I've been ranting against the machine of Big Music for quite some time now (trust me, I'd talk about this a lot more on here if I weren't so tired at the end of the day). The subject came up again tonight when Ben and I were discussing this tune he's trying to arrange for big band. When he told me the title, I said I'd never heard it, and his response was "it's all over the radio." I reminded him that since commercial radio in our area is really awful (which means it's awful everywhere, because the same three companies own most of the broadcast outlets in this country, making it all homogenized beyond belief), I usually listen to CD's in my car instead.

And then, hot on the heels of this discussion, my almost-nightly trip through the blogosphere led me to this site, where you can access something that's truly hilarious and quite sad at the same time: an mp3 where two Nickelback songs have been mixed together (one coming out of the left speaker, the other out of the right), and the result meshes together almost perfectly! While you almost have to marvel at the "skills" of a band that can make money off the same song twice, this sure does highlight the cut-and-paste nature of today's hit factories.

It's funny, but I feel energized now, despite being tired all night. I don't think that this blog had gotten too fluffy or journalesque or anything, but tonight's discovery reminds me that I need to be topical every now and then, and the bastardization of my beloved art of music by talentless corporate hacks is sure a good topic to keep up with, isn't it? The Musings may have gotten a bit of its edge back tonight...

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "I felt it was my duty to share this song in order to spread the word on how horrible music is today, and I hope you all do the same. Oddly enough, this song incest sounds better than anything Nickelback will ever actually play."--Brandon of nintendorks.com, the site where you can access the mp3.

(UPDATE: Someone did the exact same thing to Linkin Park.)

No comments: