Monday, August 15, 2005

There Is Such a Thing As a Free Lunch...If I Can Get There

Regular blogging will be delayed one day due to an unexpected snag in my teaching schedule that needs to be resolved....but I do have to pass along a funny story.

On both of the Vermont trips that I've taken since I became a blogger, I've raved about a place in downtown Burlington called Henry's Diner. This past summer, on a whim, I put my business card in the little fishbowl they used for a drawing for a free dinner--just to be funny, since I live so far away from Burlington. Well, today I got an email telling me that I won!

I wrote them back asking how long they'd wait for me to redeem it, hoping that the answer would be at least until the next Burlington Discover Jazz Festival (yes, that's next June). Either that, or I need to win the lotto really soon, or talk some of my friends into a pretty substantial roadtrip.

With this blog, I thee wed: Last week, I made a joke about instituting "commenter dating" to go along with the new feature of "comment dating." Now, Eric has noted, in the comments to that post, that a couple here in Texas actually did get married by blog! What'll they think of next?

6 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

My cousin and her husband chronicled the nine months of her pregnancy, the birth and daily pictures of their daughter up here:

http://andersonfamilypictures.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

talk some of my friends into a pretty substantial roadtrip.

Okay, lets go. I need Magic Hat. :P

Kev said...

Heh, I bet Magic Hat does mail-order; isn't that legal in Texas now?

Anonymous said...

Heh, I bet Magic Hat does mail-order; isn't that legal in Texas now?

It's illegal in Vermont to ship alcohol out of state (doesn't mean you can't buy it instate and take it out yourself). I'm not sure about the Texas thing. Never heard anything about it.. but the all-knowing Kev is probably correct.

Kev said...

...and it's funny that you researched that already. ;-) The Texas thing, if I recall correctly, allows local wineries to ship to out-of-state customers by mail.

Anonymous said...

...and it's funny that you researched that already. ;-)

... and I did it before we even left Vermont. ;-)