Monday, August 22, 2005

Some Good Local Baseball News...

The Rangers didn't lose tonight!

(Oh yeah, that's because they didn't play.)

This season is pretty much in the tank (losing 12 of 13 on the recent roadtrip guaranteed that, I'm afraid), but those of us who are die-hard supporters will slog on (I have lots and lots of ticket vouchers left, so I'll be at plenty of games in September) and hope for a better year next year. Hey, it worked for the Red Sox last year, so miracles can happen.

But it begs the question: What's the best thing that can be done to "fix" the Rangers? I heard a talk-show host on TV last night say that the only solution was to get rid of Buck Showalter and GM John Hart, and bring back Doug Melvin (the GM during the playoff years of the mid-late '90s).

I'm skeptical of the fire-Buck idea; he seems to do the best with what he's been given. Hart? I've never warmed to him; maybe that's where the change needs to take place. Fellow Rangers fans--chime in with your thoughts. Everyone else--well, there'll be a fresh post tomorrow.

He pioneered the electronic keyboard, and music hasn't been the same ever synth: R.I.P. Robert Moog. He developed the first commercial modular synthesizer, and can thus be credited/blamed (depending on your personal taste , of course) for everything from electronica to Switched-On Bach. I also thought it was fascinating that he put himself through college by building and selling theremins (c'mon, everybody say wooo-OOOO-oooo). But no matter your opinion of electronic music, Moog definitely broke new ground.

4 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

re: Dr. Moog
I recently watched Moog, a documentary on Dr. Moog and his inventions. Pretty cool stuff even though I'm not the biggest fan of synthesized music.

Kev said...

I never thought Barajas was all that bad....way better than those other guys last year, IMHO. And, much as I liked A-Rod when he was here, I soured on him a bit after he left and made that "24 kids" remark...

So, Gary, if you were Tom Hicks, with whom would you replace Buck next year?

Kev said...

I don't know, for some reason I've just never been impressed by Laird. And we all know plenty of players with great minor league numbers that don't get reproduced in the majors.

So we might just have to agree to disagree here and see who ends up closer to what actually happens. But that's the great thing about well-used blog comments--differing ideas and intelligent, polite discourse. That's one reason I stay out of politics on here...

Kev said...

Gary--LOL.