Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Name the Mystery Tune?

Over dinner tonight, I heard a most unusual tune; it was sort of a techno-ish thing that featured vocals reminiscent of the "soft side" of Trent Reznor or maybe the guy from Filter (which was pretty much a Nine Inch Nails offshoot anyway). But the most unusual thing about the song was that it contained a fairly substantial sample of Gerry Mulligan's "Song for an Unfinished Woman" (most likely the version recorded by Mulligan/Baker at the Carnegie Hall Concert). Anybody have any idea what this tune is or who does it? (If you're not familiar with "Unfinished Woman," click on the sample on the Amazon link and maybe that'll help.)

We live in trying (-out) times: The stats of my day were as follows--five hours of teaching, five and a half hours of listening to auditions at the college, then another hour and a half of deliberating over said auditions (albeit at a very good place to eat). I'm spent. I'm toast. I also have a nearly twelve-hour teaching day tomorrow, and my parents are visiting on Thursday. Therefore, in the immortal words of Yoda, a short post this will be.

1 comment:

Eric Grubbs said...

This song isn't ringing any bells with me. The plot thickens . . . what else do you remember?