Friday, July 29, 2005

This Piano Teacher's Stringboard Was Way Too Tightly Wound

From Dave Barry's Blog comes the story of a piano teacher who became enraged at her student for playing a different piece than she had chosen for him in a competition; she subsequently went on stage during the performance and slammed the piano lid on his hand. The student, of course, is suing.

As a longtime music teacher, I've known a few colleagues who were that tightly wound, but this lady may take the cake. And it does seem like that would only happen among classical musicians; we jazzers are normally way too laid-back to do something like that (OK, maybe Buddy Rich notwithstanding).

Also check out the comments on Dave's post, where several readers (myself included) offer up our favorite musician jokes.

Smells like Team spirit: It's now official; the next Team Demon/Dingus gig is a week from tonight. More details on the sidebar and at the TD/D blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My HS band director was like that piano lady. He never caused me physical harm, but he did screw me over on many good musical opportunities and tried to make my life a living hell until I graduated.

Anonymous said...

Actually.. I take that back.. he did grab me by the arm once, and rather forcefully pulled me off a chair I was standing on so I could reach something .. but he ended up getting the worst end of the deal as I came down hard on his unprotected feet.