Friday, September 02, 2005

A Call for Involvement

Blogging is relatively light right now, because most of my online time has been spent reading about the status of everything along the Gulf. As I said back on Sunday, when the hurricane was still out over water, I've had a soft spot in my heart for New Orleans for a long time, and it's always been one of my favorite vacation places. While it doesn't appear that anyone will be vacationing there anytime soon, I have no doubt that, over time, the Big Easy will rise again. To do this, they'll need lots of help, and that's where we come in.

I'm still very much encouraged at how many people have gotten involved in the relief effort, even in the smallest of ways. My church announced a donation drive for this weekend; my fraternity is encouraging every collegiate chapter and alumni association to hold a fundraiser for hurricane relief (and, being a music fraternity, I bet that more than a few of these efforts will be concerts of some sort). If you're in the Metroplex, radio station KRLD is hosting a donation drive from 10-2 tomorrow in downtown Dallas, downtown Ft. Worth and Frisco.

So I challenge all Musings readers to do something toward this effort; I know that several of you have already done so. Visit the relief listings at InstaPundit and make a donation. Donate blood if you can. Help out a local school district that's absorbing refugee kids. If you're able, offer employment to someone who's had to relocate. The list goes on...

If you're wondering, I've given to the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and the Preservation Hall Hurricane Relief Fund. I'm also going to do one more thing: Tomorrow night, I'm subbing in my friend Gordon's band WhoNew at a place in downtown Carrollton. It's not a big-money gig, but I'm going to donate whatever I make to the relief effort and push for any "tip jar" that might be set out for us to go to this effort as well. It's not as close to home as some of the places I've played, but come on out anyway, just to hear a different sound.

Regular blogging will resume soon enough; during this week, it's just seemed like everyone has better things to read than my random thoughts.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "311 is a rock band, not a gas price!"--Me, to Dingus, as we drove through Arlington tonight and saw an especially steep price for regular unleaded. I got to visit Dingus for the first time in his new digs, and we pondered (over burritos, of course) where to find a place for TD/D to play that wouldn't close down in a few months.

No comments: