Friday, June 16, 2006

Quite a Site to Behold

Nearly the entire time I've been blogging, I've mentioned off and on that my website is pretty lame...or, if not lame, at least rather plain, vanilla, ordinary--you get the idea. What started out as a very small GeoCities "homepage" (as people tended to call them in 1999, when I started the site) hasn't really changed much over the years. I've admittedly put way more energy into this blog (and even, much more recently, my MySpace page), but I decided that, since the website did show up back in April as the number one hit on Google for "kevin mcnerney" (and after a quick visit, I'm happy to report that it still is), I should definitely get the place spruced up a bit.

And now, I'm happy to report that we're almost there. There are still some finishing touches to be added, and I need to go through the mechanisms of actually transferring all of this to the kevinmcnerney.com domain (the trick here is deciding who will do my webhosting--do I continue with Yahoo [who's the parent of GeoCities and has been problem-free for these past six years] or try someplace else that's cheaper but unproven?), but you can take a sneak peek by going here. Thanks to Nate for all his hard--and fast--work on this; we've had a few late nights this week discussing all the changes over AIM, but it's been totally worth it. I'll post an update when the site actually gets switched over to my domain, but the new one will be parked at the link above until that time.

(Oh--I also noticed that The Musings does appear in Google now, at #16; the post that made it, appropriately enough, is the one called Go Google Yourself!)

Now the yearbook has a dress code, too: School officials in New Jersey ripped a page out of hundreds of yearbooks because a student's underwear was partially visible in a picture on that page.

Grads gone wild: Students in Wisconsin decided to relive the "Animal House" experience for their graduation party, but eighteen of them were arrested for underage drinking when all was said and done. Ironically, the site of the party was a restaurant owned by the guy who played Niedermayer (the ROTC commander) in the movie. (Whoa--he's 60 years old now?)

The town council really got his goat...literally: A man in Montana had the perfect solution for keeping unwanted grass and weeds out of his yard: He bought a goat. But the council decided he couldn't keep it, or everyone would want one. (He had kept 13 different sheep on the property over the years for the same purpose, and he noted that "[t]hey were a real babe magnet...It's the way I met half of my ex-wives.")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Yearbook Dress-code

In the too many years that I did our yearkbook, the staffers were responsible for weeding out pictures like that. If any slipped through it was our heads on the chopping block. Needless to say, we never had any problems.

Re: webhosting

1and1.com is good
icdsoft.com is amazing

Eric Grubbs said...

The site looks great so far.

Shawn said...

I like the look. It looks as good as any other professional's homepage, very nice and fast.

I use GoDaddy for domain registration, as my hosting site is actually at .Mac. The domain registration I think is only a few dollars - but I'm sure there's that one-time fee of $35 in there too.