Friday, May 27, 2005

No Seat Belt? It Just Doesn't Click with Me

The state of Texas has been making a big deal about its Click it or Ticket campaign as we start this holiday weekend. If you're unfamiliar with the campaign, it involves stepped-up enforcement of the seat-belt laws over heavy driving periods; drivers who fail to wear their seat belts, as well as their front-seat passengers and any passengers under the age of 17, can be fined up to $200 for failure to comply with this law.

Wearing a seat belt is obviously a good thing to do, which makes we wonder why anyone wouldn't do it in the first place. Personally, I'd no more drive or ride in a car without a seat belt than I would ride a roller coaster without the safety bar in place. I'd love to think that Musings readers would be in unanimous agreement with me on this, but feel free to weigh in no matter which side you're on. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Concise movie review of the day: Go see Madagascar. It's freakin' hilarious. That is all I need to say. Good night.

3 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

Not wearing a seatbelt feels like I'm walking around with no pants on: something just doesn't feel right.

James said...

I find it reeeeally crazy that seatbelt law is really only just beginning in America. Seatbelts just save so many lives.

In Australia, it's been law for as long as I've been alive (20 years now) and then longer.

PS: A major city over here is called Darwin ;)

Kev said...

Oh, we've had the law over here for a long time too; it's this particular high-profile enforcement campaign, over major holiday weekends, that hasn't been around for too long.