Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The iTunes Shuffle, Part 3

As I promised yesterday, here's another edition of the fun little computer/music experiment.

Once again, the ground rules:
1. Open up the music player on your computer (or your iPod, possibly).
2. Set it to play your entire music collection.
3. Hit the "shuffle" command.
4. Tell us the title of the next ten songs that show up (with their musicians), no matter how embarrassing...

Here's what this edition produced:
One O'Clock Lab Band: Point of Entry (from Lab 97)
Dan Haerle/Jack Mouse/Bob Bowman: The Slither (I blogged about the release of this CD here)
Dewey Redman: O'besso (at 14:10, this will make for one long Shuffle!)
Jerry Bergonzi: Have You Met Miss Jones? (live version)
Lennie Niehaus: Fancy Free from Basic Jazz Conception for Saxophone (I knew that a teaching aid would get in here. LOL)
Fay Claassen: My Funny Valentine
Tomasz Stanko: Chameleon (no, not the Herbie Hancock one)
Jerry Bergonzi: Up for the Count
Miles Davis--I Fall in Love Too Easily
Lennie Niehaus: Tuning Notes (There we go--another teaching aid)
Thrascher: 52 Short (Yes, I did add a bonus 11th track since I got two non-listening tracks in there.)

In the previous editions of this game, I've pointed out how many of the above performers I've seen live. This time, of the nine different individuals/groups listed, I've seen four: the One O'Clock, Haerle, Miles and Thrascher; (three of those are from the "duhh" department, because the One O'Clock is based where I went to college, Haerle was one of my professors, and I work a camp with Thrascher and went to school with three of its four members). I've also seen Bergonzi in a clinic situation and heard one of his live performances through a door (it was last year at IAJE, where he was playing in a room that was way too small for the audience he drew, and the Hotel Security Nazis kept people out unless an equal number of people left). Having seen four artists live ties the '05 edition but falls short of the six in the '06 effort.

Have fun with this--try it yourself and post it on your own blog, and feel free to link to it in the comments here.

UPDATE: It took a few days, but regular commenter Gary P. did his own Shuffle and posted the results in the comments to this post.

The Force is strong with this one: An 11-year-old boy in England defended his mother from a man who tried to attack her by hitting the man with a plastic toy lightsaber, causing him to run away.

This is more creative than "my dog ate my homework," but no more effective: Most public schools (including mine) have resumed after winter break this week, but one boy in Mexico tried to prolong his holiday by gluing his hand to the bedpost. (Paramedics had to come out to free him, but he was only a few hours late to school.)

No comments: