Friday, October 01, 2004

A Fall Cornucopia

A totally random collection of this 'n' that:

--Here we are, just one day into October, and it's supposed to get cold here overnight. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet, especially with a UNT football game tomorrow evening. (Granted, "cold" is a relative statement in Texas; in this case, it means it'll only reach the 70's tomorrow afternoon. Still, I'll miss wearing shorts this weekend, but we should have a few more warm ones left.)

--There will be a benefit concert on Sunday for Jonathan Beckett, a former classmate of mine and recent member of the UNT One O'Clock Lab Band who's battling lymphoma. The concert is from 3:30 p.m. till midnight at Hailey's in Denton, and a $10 donation, all of which goes to Jonathan's medical fund, gets you in the door. Featured artists include the Jim Riggs Big Band, the One O'Clock Lab Band, Shelley Carrol, Wayne Delano and Brave Combo.

--The fall concert guest artist and Gomez International Guest Artist have been announced on the UNT Jazz Studies website. I'm more than a little happy to see that they're both saxophonists. *grin*

--Didja catch that weird baseball story from yesterday? A Cleveland Indians pitcher was hit in the right calf by a shot that came through the team bus...but he was spared serious injury due to the fact that he was wearing go-go boots--part of the cheerleader outfit he was wearing during a rookie hazing ritual. I guess they couldn't have picked a better time for that...

--I don't get political on this site, but Lileks has some interesting things to say about last night's debate.

Blowing out the candles: Happy birthday Dingus! I recounted the story of how he got the nickname on his birthday a year ago, so I won't repeat myself now.

UPDATE: More baseball--I just watched on TV as Ichiro broke the all-time hits-in-a-season record while I was doing this post. It was against my beloved Rangers, but still, it was cool to watch history being made like that.

No comments: