Wednesday, November 21, 2007

We're Off From School, So Let's Take Some Quizzes for Fun

First: Are you addicted to the Internet? Take this test and find out.

I scored a 30: "You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage."

(Hat tip: Althouse, who scored a 46.)

Second: What American accent do you have? (Mine turned out as I predicted it would...)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The South
 
Philadelphia
 
The Inland North
 
The West
 
The Northeast
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

I've always been told that I had no discernible accent; sure, my use of "y'all" might give away the fact that I've lived in Texas since third grade, but I don't indulge in other Texanisms like "fixin' to" or "over yonder." And I got a kick out of the "you have a good voice for TV and radio," since I was a radio guy all through college.

One of the commenters at the quiz site has some good questions as well:
Someone has no doubt already mentioned this but what about these:

1) do you pronounce coupon as 'coopon' or 'q-pon'?
2) do you pronounce vase as 'vahz', 'vaze' or 'vace'?
3) do you pronounce aunt as 'ant' or 'awnt'?
4) do you pronounce creek as like 'Greek' and 'peek' or 'crick'?
For me, it's q-pon, vace, ant, and Greek. (Does anyone besides myself think that "awnt"--or, as I've heard more often, "ahnt"--sounds pretentious? Maybe I gravitated towards "ant" because I grew up with a [great-] Aunt Bee, and the two-insect jokes wouldn't work so well if she had been an "ahnt.")

Review on the way: Of course, I went to the One O'Clock Lab Band's fall concert last night; a review will be posted soon.

One man's trash literally is another man's treasure: A painting that was spotted in the trash by a woman on her morning walk just sold for more than $1 million.

Two reasons to celebrate: A woman celebrated her 100th birthday and received her honorary high school diploma on the same day. (This gives new meaning to the term "senior class," I suppose.)

No comments: