Thursday, November 01, 2007

Want to See Costumes? Just Look a LIttle Higher (Ed)

As I noted yesterday, the concept of the Halloween costume has pretty much disappeared from the public schools, and for good (if most unfortunate) reason: If people are wearing masks and such, people who shouldn't be in a school could easily sneak in there. It's just one of those "signs of the times," and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

But it surprised me quite a bit yesterday to see so many costumes at the college. Sure, there had always been a few, but the would-be trick-or-treaters were out in force this year. (The funniest one I saw was someone who went as Jay from the "Jay and Silent Bob" movie.) So I guess all that repression in secondary school leads to expression once everyone hits college. (And most amusing was my trip to UNT for Lab Band Night at the Syndicate, where virtually every performer--and quite a bit of the audience--was in costume. The funniest one I saw was this guy dressed as a giant banana.)

What was the most creative costume you saw this year?

Fear Factor 101: A Vanderbilt University professor sets up a fear lab each year at his house for Halloween; he uses it to gauge the fear of kids, who must complete a scary obstacle course of sorts before they are rewarded with candy.

Don't charge me, bro: A University of Florida student who was Tased after refusing to stop asking John Kerry questions (and coining the phrase "Don't tase me, bro" in the process) will not face charges for his actions.

And it's the Big House for the plowjacker: Meanwhile, a Green Bay man was sentenced to prison for stealing a snowplow at knifepoint. During the efforts to arrest him, he was Tased three times and bitten by a poilce dog.

No comments: