Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Sign of the Times

While I was down in Austin yesterday, I stopped at an intersection where there were panhandlers on three of the four corners. The one closest to me--looking every bit the part, with long hair, scraggly grey beard, tattered clothes--was holding up the funniest sign I've ever seen a panhandler use:
LEAR JET
OUT OF FUEL
PLEASE HELP

Being near the end of the down side of my business cycle, I didn't actually have any "gas money" for him, but I did get a good laugh out of it. (And one of my friends pointed out later that I should have told him he could have sold the jet and gotten quite a bit of money out of it!)

Those T-shirts don't say "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" for nothing...

Best excuse, used by an adult, that could have come from a middle-schooler: The goat ate my euros!

I'm in ur atmusfeer, defyin' ur gravities: A cat fell out an 18th-floor window of a Chicago highrise...and survived. Eight lives to go...

No comments: