Friday, June 29, 2007

For Some People, Today Is LIke Christmas in June

But not for me. It's not that I don't want a new iPhone; of course I do. But I'm not El Techno Geek Supremo enough to have to have it on the first day (and besides, as someone else said in the comments to the lolcat picture in the first link above, "I has teh poor" this time of year).

Actually, the truth of the matter is this: I have a six-month-old video iPod, a perfectly good RAZR (the pictures from which have been splashed over this blog recently) and thirteen months left on my cellular contract, so (to quote the old movie), Kevin can wait; whether that means wait for the update or at least for the price to come down is unsure at the moment. (Hat tip for the lolcats: Althouse. I think that I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGER is one of my favorite new sites of the past few weeks.

James Lileks and Brendan Loy are liveblogging the festivities surrounding the release in Minneapolis and Knoxville, respectively. Brendan even sent some blog posts by the phone. (UPDATE: And Lileks has a movie of the day's events.)

Did any Musings reader succumb to the temptation to pick this thing up on Day One?

Also, it's been said that iPhone sales translate to an avalanche of discarded electronic devices...or maybe people will just leave their old phones in their junk drawers, like I do. I have three old cell phones in there; can anybody here top that?

Politics trump technology: In Philadephia, the mayor left his place in line for an iPhone when he was berated for doing so by a passerby who asked him, "How can you sit here with 200 murders in the city [this year] already?"

This story sounds too good to be true: A guy paid $4.88 for a plasma TV at Wal-Mart. Too bad he was actually committing fraud in the process...

For gamers, it's just what the doctor ordered: The American Medical Association now says that excessive playing of video games does not constitute a formal psychiatric addiction.

1 comment:

Eric Grubbs said...

No iPhone for me. My iPod Nano and new Motorola cell phone are just fine.