Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Please Pardon This Interruption...

Blogging will be light-to-nonexistent for the next several days as my computer recovers from a massive hard drive crash that happened around lunchtime yesterday. Ugh.

It was really weird how it happened: I was reading a really good essay and wanted to bookmark it, but when I went to the top menu to do so, everything just started freaking out--programs closing, things flashing off and on, etc. I turned the computer off, but it wouldn't reboot; I just kept getting the little folder icon with the Mac OS logo alternating back and forth with a question mark. I tried rebooting from the original system disk, but it wiped out everything else in the process.

So I've managed to reinstall the system and most of my programs, but the Internet will have to wait; the install disk I have is from AT&T, which has since been taken over by Comcast. This means the old one doesn't work, so I'm having to wait for a new one to arrive by snail mail; with any luck, I'll be up by late Thursday.

In the meantime, it was a rather boring holiday, not being able to talk to my friends online and all that (sitting around AIM-lessly, you could say). I spent way too much time scouring the house for all the necessary backup disks, and it was really weird to sit around with reading and watching TV as my only diversions; it was just so...1996.

At any rate, I'm at school now (it figured that this had to happen on one of the few days the college was closed) and just wanted to do this quick update so that people didn't think I'd been abducted by aliens or anything. More later, when I'm up and running again.

No comments: