- The American Red Cross is obviously going to be on the front lines of this effort, providing food, water and shelter to those in need. You may donate using the link here and also through Amazon.
- The Salvation Army will also be a major participant in the area. A $100 donation will feed a family of four for two days, provide two cases of drinking water and one household clean-up kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets, and cleaning supplies.
- On a more local level, Carter Blood Care will be teaming up with blood banks in the affected areas to provide relief, and they will be hosting several blood drives in the Metroplex this weekend to bolster their supply.
- And don't forget about the animals! The SPCA of Texas is sending a team to the area to assist in the rescue of pets left homeless by the disaster.
- UPDATE: I have come across another charity which is of obvious interest to me as a jazz musician: the Preservation Hall Hurricane Relief Fund. One hundred percent of your donation goes to New Orleans musicians.
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Bloggers Unite for a Good Cause
Over at InstaPundit, Glenn Reynolds has posted a list of relief links for the victims of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. He's also called for a "blogburst" to take place today, wherein every blogger who wishes to do so will post a set of links to his/her favorite charities that are assisiting in the relief effort. There are plenty of them out there, but here's my short list