Friday, April 09, 2004

A Much-Needed Holiday

It was sweet to wake up at 10:30 a.m. today. I could've slept even longer, but I really do need to get a few things done around here. Nonetheless, the three-day weekend came at exactly the right time.

Things had been pretty much off-kilter all week with the time change and all, and I'm ready for them to be on-kilter again, if I can remember exactly where I put my kilter. Even though I love Daylight Savings Time way more than Daylight Wasting Time, the lost hour of sleep kept jumping up and biting me in the nether regions this week. Staying out till after 1 a.m. on Lab Band Madness night didn't help things, but that's an annual punishment I willingly endure. (Besides--a Lab Band concert in Denton without a trip to the Tomato? No way!)

So after an actual eight-hour night of sleep, I feel like I've pretty much reset my internal clock, and I'm looking forward to a weekend that will be both relaxing and productive at the same time. Tonight is "J-Guar meets Team Demon/Dingus" for bowling, burrito night and a jam session; some of us warmed up last night with a few games and the usual Whataburger afterwards.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't pause for a moment and remember the Reason we have this day off to begin with. The schools can genericize it as a "Student/Staff Holiday" all they want to, but I for one will take time to reflect on the ultimate sacrifice made on our behalf on this day many years ago.

Sure, I'd play "The Chicken" every day of my life if it paid the bills, but would I wear the costume?
I need a gig! Trumpet-playing chicken wants work
I wonder if that tune is actually part of his repertoire...

No comments: