Friday, August 21, 2009

Yet Another Update on Me

I went to the orthopedist today for the first time in six weeks. As much as I've noticed the dramatic improvement in things over that period of time, it was brought into really sharp focus when I compared how I feel now with the last time I sat on that examining table.

So here's the latest: In the next few weeks, I'll be working towards two milestones: Gradually weaning myself off the knee brace, and being able to drive my own car again (to say that I miss Kevmobile 2.0 is definitely an understatement, as it's been nearly two months now since I drove her). I'll also begin strength training for the knee and its various accompanying muscles, as well as "gait training"--learning to walk normally again. (Seeing as how, in the years since I stopped being in marching band, I've developed a sort of shuffle--the heels of my shoes wear out more quickly than the other parts--it was always my intent to use this rehab process as a way to re-train myself in this area.)

The visit was short and sweet; it's always nice to hear "Everything's looking really good" from a doctor. I'm back again in six weeks, when things may be approaching a "normal" that I haven't experienced since mid-April.

No comments: