Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The iTunes Shuffle, Part 4

OK, I haven't done this in a while, and--with 25 days worth of music on my computer, it's bound to come out differently than the last time. You probably know the drill for this one, but if not, let's explain:

1. Open up the music player on your computer (or your iPod, possibly).
2. Set it to play your entire music collection.
3. Hit the "shuffle" command.
4. Tell us the title of the next ten songs that show up (with their musicians), no matter how embarrassing...

So here's the latest installment:
Denis DiBlasio: Just the Way You Look Tonight
Stevie Wonder: SIr Duke
Bob Mintzer Big Band: Spectrum
Charlie Parker: Laird Baird
Basia: There's a Tear
Vorcza: Adios Pinochet
Tomasz Stanko Quartet: Kattorna
Carla Bley (with Steve Swallow): Pretend You're In Love
Tomasz Stanko: Whistle Walk
Steve Wiest Big Band: Cheek to Cheek

So I always talk about how many of the Shuffle artists I've seen live. The number is smaller this time--only three out of nine--but the associations are closer: I've seen DiBlasio, Mintzer and Wiest (the latter being a former schoolmate) live on many occasions, and I've performed with all three of them. I've also seen a single member of Vorcza--drummer Gabe Jarrett--at a jam session in Vermont a year ago. (I would have seen Steve Wonder at his recent local stop if the tickets had been cheaper.) There were no teaching aids per se this time, and one artist--Stanko--made a repeat appearance, as often happens in these things. (I should mention that I would really like to see both Stanko and Bley in a live setting.)

As always, feel free to do this as well and post your results in the comments to this post. Maybe I'll do another one before too long, since I notice that I managed to skip this entirely in 2007; besides, I have so much music on my computer now that there's almost no chance something will repeat...or is there?

Previous iTunes Shuffles:
Part 1 (1/13/05)
Part 2 (9/24/06)
Part 3 (1/8/08)

No comments: