Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Tribute to Moms

A nice tribute to moms, at Protein Wisdom (hat tip: Instapundit). Also some very nice words from (nearly) all the commenters.

Even before I read the comments, I realized how fortunate I am to have my parents still around; Mother's Day isn't always a happy day for everyone, after all. Being able to make it past my turbulent teens and twenties and just enjoy our occasional visits is indeed a privilege. Sure, they still dispense wisdom, but everything's on a totally different level now. I like it.

Mom and Dad may be 300 miles away, but Mom and I had a nice conversation this afternoon. It had been a busy weekend, and they were enjoying their usual Clock Tower time on the deck; the weather in Houston was nice enough to do that today, just as it was here.

So Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, grandmas and moms-to-be out there. Feel free to include your own memories of Mom in the comments.

UPDATE: One more nice tribute to a Mom, from Rachel Lucas.

One more tribute: A few weeks ago, I mentioned the passing of Jimmy Giuffre, the "Four Brothers" composer-turned-free jazz pioneer who was also a founding member of my fraternity chapter. Check out another fine tribute by Michael E. Young, from the GuideLive section of yesterday's DMN.

No comments: