Monday, May 19, 2008

The Bush Is Coming! The Bush Is Coming!

I haven't been checking my city council member's blog lately, or I would have known that the final barriers to the Eastern Extension of the President George Bush Turnpike have been removed, and the dirt is about to start flying in this area (cool map at the link). Bids for the main section in Rowlett are scheduled to be awarded in just a few days, and the end date for the whole project has been moved up a bit, to late 2011.

Just as the opening of the Bush thus far has transformed this area (I shudder to think of the traffic that we have now having to stop at stoplights along the service road), its continuation to I-30 will do even more, as it will bring people in from all directions. (And yes, it will make the drive to some of my southern schools a lot easier as well.) Let's get the dirt flying!

Chapter Day: Today is the 68th anniversary of the founding of the Gamma Theta Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a great brotherhood of musicians. Among our alums are jazz guitarist Herb Ellis, pianist/vocalist Bob Dorough (of "Schoolhouse Rock" fame), the late classical composer Fisher Tull, the late jazz composer Frank Mantooth, and the recently-departed Jimmy Giuffre. I'm headed up in a few hours to celebrate with whomever happens to be in town tonight.

No comments: