Thursday, October 25, 2007

How Low Can I Go...

...before turning the heat on in Casa de Kev? We had this discussion a little over a year ago, and, as I said then, I'm not a big fan of that first night of the heater coming on (what with the bad smell, dryness in the air, etc.), so I try to put it off for as long as possible. I keep my winter thermostat at 68 (a far cry from the 62 as suggested by Ann Althouse at her blog last year), and last night, with lows in the 40s, going au natural yielded only a low of 67 in here in the morning. As I get ready for bed, it's 70 in the house, so I'm tempted not to turn it on quite yet (though i did pause for a moment when I heard the words "frost warning" on the radio tonight). I'll come back in the morning and share the results of this experiment.

NEXT MORNING UPDATE: I went heatless, and I woke up to a 65-degree house--that's exactly the midpoint between the Kev and Althouse standards. Everything felt fine, and it's gone up a degree during breakfast even though the sun hasn't started to come up yet. With highs in the 70s, I can hold off on the heater for a little while longer.

Don't mess with Hizzoner, even the economy-sized version: Matthew Godfrey, the 5'6" mayor of Odgen Utah, awoke recently to a would-be burglar who, unable to break into the house, stole one of the family's bikes and started to ride away. The mayor chased him, tackled him and put him in a headlock until police arrived. (One of the mayor's recent campaign issues was reducing crime, but I bet nobody expected him to do that all by himself.)

Yoda stamp you want? Buy it now you can.

No comments: