Monday, December 26, 2005

Answering the Obvious Question

(Which, on Christmas, is "did you get any cool stuff?")

SUGAR LAND--This was a pretty quiet Christmas around here with just the three of us; we finished our present-opening in about fifteen minutes. We also didn't have the full breakfast until after church, which was quite different; we actually did the present thing while breakfast was cooking.

So anyway, on to the loot: I got a digital camera, which I've needed for a long time. Eventually, that will mean more photos on this blog, though I'll have to work around the fact that my downloading software is only compatible with Mas OS X, while the Ancient and Venerable iMac is permanently stuck in OS 9. I'll figure out a way to work around it, and the whole digital thing definitely helps me avoid a certain weakness: I'm horrible at getting pictures developed. I have little film canisters that must be three years old just sitting around my house, not to mention all the disposable cameras that I've used up since my 35mm gave up the ghost a few Christmases ago.

I got my annual gift of Rangers tickets from my sister and brother-in-law. I also got a generous Target gift card; that will either go towards buying a ton of DVD's or saving up for a new TV--we'll see. And between friends, students and schools, I'd already netted quite a few gift cards from places like Starbucks, Chipotle, Barnes and Noble and so on.

As I think I said yesterday, it's not about the stuff; it's about the people, and I was happy to spend time with my parents and talk to almost all my close friends by phone or AIM. I hope your day was equally enjoyable and relaxing.

Kids say the darnedest things (Christmas version): The sermon at the brief church service this morning was geared toward kids, who were invited to come up and sit on the steps near the altar. The minister was showing them a handcrafted Nativity scene made by one of the church members, and the following dialogue took place:

MINISTER: OK, this king I'm holding up is carrying gold. Now, why would the king bring Jesus a gift of gold?
KID: Because maybe he wanted some!

No comments: