Thursday, October 20, 2005

There Is Joy in Mudville

I got home too late last night to post about it, but let me add my voice (or text, in this case) to the many in the Lone Star State who are celebrating the imminent arrival of the World Series in Texas. Yes, I'm hoping for the day when my beloved Rangers will get there, but for now, having grown up in Houston, I'm totally happy that Astros did it. Needless to say, I'm pulling for the 'Stros, and even if they weren't in, I'd likely be rooting against the White Sox, since a) I'm a Cubs fan, and b) White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen seems to have some chip on his shoulder against Buck Showalter or something like that. (I've also lived in St. Louis three different times, so I could have staked a small claim to the Cardinals had they prevailed.)

I've missed most of the games of the playoffs so far, but I hope to carve out some time to catch quite a bit of this Series, cheering on a guy who went to school in my district (Roger Clemens) and another one who used to live in my parents' neighborhood (Jeff Bagwell). And I bask in the hope that, now that one Texas team has gotten to the biggest stage of the Show, the other one might soon follow (and hey, nobody burst my bubble on this until at least next May, alright?).

Blowing out the candles: Happy birthday to my fraternity brother Eddie, a.k.a. Blue. He's having a party thrown for him on both nights this weekend, so I hope to at least make one of them.

No comments: