Saturday, May 28, 2005

Taking the Walk

This is a big graduation weekend, and as I do every year, I'd like to wish the best of luck to those new, recent, and soon-to-be alumni of my teaching studio who have graduated in the past week: Scott B., Kyle, Mical, Josh, Greg, Nathan, John P. and Christina. Some of you have been with me for only a short time, others for the entire seven years, but it's been a pleasure working with all of you. I hope that, even if you don't play in college, you'll keep music close to your hearts.

(Incidentally, those on that list from the Garland district got to have their ceremonies at a cool new venue this week; I can't wait to tour the place myself.)

I'd also like to give special graduation wishes to Angie and Coop; neither was ever a student of mine, but they're nonetheless very important to me, and both took "the walk" today as well.

It's a wash: For the first time, I went to a Rangers game today that never got to be played because of rain in the area. After a three-hour delay (during which they really hoped to get the game in, because the White Sox aren't scheduled to be in Arlington again until late August), they finally called the game without the tarp so much as having come off the field. The only baseball we got to see was the kids hitting the wiffle ball in Vandergriff Park.

When a game on TV experiences a rain delay, the network often shows a rerun of a classic game. For this rain-delay posting, I'll send you to my essay on how baseball reflects the best things in America from around a year ago.

No comments: