Thursday, May 19, 2005

Chapter Day

I just wanted to give a quick shout-out to my brothers in the Gamma Theta Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a fine brotherhood of musicians. The chapter was founded on this day in 1940 at what was then called North Texas State Teachers College, but is a much bigger place now. Some of our alumni include Jimmy Giuffre (clarinetist/saxophonist and composer of "Four Brothers"), Herb Ellis (jazz guitarist), Bob Dorough (jazz pianist/vocalist and the voice behind many of the "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoons) and the late Frank Mantooth (pianist/composer/arranger).

I'm headed up there tonight to celebrate with the guys and help out in a little historical presentation. Seeing as how I only had three hours of sleep after Star Wars last night, I think a little nap is in order first. (The obligatory Star Wars review will be posted right after this one, probably tomorrow.)

No comments: