Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Kev's Poetry Corner

If I can have your attention *clears throat*...here's a new one for you:

I am a poet;
I am very fond of bananas.
I am bananas;
I am very fond of a poet.*


No, I haven't been eating funny mushrooms. Those are the actual opening lyrics to Track #5 on the new Kurt Elling CD, Man in the Air. It's mostly well-known instrumentals that Kurt wrote lyrics to, such as Pat Metheny's "Minuano," Josef Zawinul's "A Remark You Made," and the "Resolution" portion of John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme."

There's nothing as wacky on there as "Endless" from The Messenger (a story I still have to tell sometime), but the above-quoted song is a nice touch. If you're already a Kurt fan, I highly recommend this one as an addition to your library. If you're unfamiliar with him, check him out, and read my short review of his performance here back in May.

(*"The Uncertainty of the Poet"--lyrics by Wendy Cope, to music by Cary John Franklin)

No comments: