Sunday, July 27, 2003

Not Your Usual Graduation Speech

I read a great article that was sent to me a few days ago. It's called the "Neal Boortz Commencement Speech," and you might find it interesting. Even if you don't agree with what he says, you probably have to admit that a lot of thought went into it. Personally, I think it's one of the best things I've read in a long time, even if some of the truths and ideas expressed might make a lot of people uncomfortable. (Now, understand that I don't agree with the "those who can, do; those who can't, teach" idea in there, at least as a blanket statement; but in my years in academia, I've certainly known plenty of people who fit the bill.)

And I guess you might have read that the RIAA (the nucleus of the Machine; see my previous post on the subject) started sending out those subpoenas to suspected file-sharers this past week. I think one of the first people to get one was someone's grandfather...sheesh. I still say they might win the battle, but they're gonna lose the war if they treat people like this. Anyway, perhaps it's time to take Zack's advice and listen to some foreign music. He made one of his famous "Zax Mixes" for Matt and included a lot of this thing called Orange Lounge, which I think came from DDR and Beatmania machines but has a decided jazz element in there (for those in the know, the famous ii-V-I progression is all over the place). My understanding is that there's never been a commercially-released Orange Lounge CD, but I did find a cool streaming Internet radio station here that you might wanna check out. It's definitely different.

Oh, and congrats to Lance Armstrong on his fifth straight Tour win. You've done Plano and Austin....and America...very proud.

OK, back to being lazy again for a while... :-)

No comments: