Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Busy Withdrawal?

So here we are, two days into my official summer, and I'm...bored? What's up with that?

I think I must be going through "busy withdrawal," if there's such a thing. My schedule during the year is so packed that there ends up being something going on almost every night of the week. I think I just get used to that, so I have no idea what to do with myself when nothing's happening. Tonight, the juxtaposition of none of my friends being available and a really bad Rangers game on TV contributed to the boredom. Some of my friends have described me as a perpetual-motion machine, so I get all out-of-sync when I'm actually at rest. It sure seems like I would be able to enjoy doing nothing every once in a while, but evidently not today. Sounds like something I could stand to learn...

This afternoon, I had the worst round of bowling that I'd had since we started going to Bowl-A-Rama: two games under 100, and the last one only a 120. While the first game was marred by a pair of shoes that stuck to the floor, the rest of it was just sort of "losing my mojo"--it was like I'd forgotten how to bowl or something. I'm sure a lot of it was a mental game, but it was downright weird. At least I somewhat redeemed myself in the last game; if I'd gone sub-100 for all three, I'm not sure I could've shown my face in there (OK, not really, but you get the idea).

Oh, and if you're keeping up with the Kev-Won't-Be-Poor-This-Summer Derby, I've hit 40 people signed up, I do believe, with lots more still to return their info. I have several taking double lessons (or twice a week), and one new person wants to go three times a week! (Is that overkill? Maybe, but I'll take it.) I always have said that this would be the summer where I wouldn't end up in the hole, and so far so good.

Candles, etc.: Happy birthday to Chris H., a cool guitarist whom I haven't gotten to jam with in ages. Also a happy belated anniversary (yesterday) to Kristen and Justin, my sister and brother-in-law and the First Family of Despair. May you have many, many, many, many more...

4 comments:

Steven said...

Actually I've been more busy as of late. Between practicing as much as I want to, seeing my friends and my girlfriend every possible moment, I haven't had a quiet night all week. It's great.

Kev said...

I don't actually mind a quiet night every once in a while; I think that, on that day, it was the combination of a day with nothing to do and a night with nothing to do that was so weird. (Hmm, why is it that I hear "Corcovado" in my head whenever the phrase "quiet night" is spoken?)

Steven said...

Because the lyrics have the word "quiet" in both English and Portuguese about 15 times.

Kev said...

Thank you, Captain Obvious...