Sunday, April 12, 2009

I Can't Let This Go By Unnoticed Again

I almost forgot again this year; the fact that it's April 12 has been completely obscured by the much larger fact that it's also Easter. (Last year, I had an excuse: the MacBook was in the Computer Hospital, and blogging was quite limited in the first place.) I might have let this one slip by as well, but I was over at Althouse, where the hostess was wishing a happy one-year blogiversary to her son, John Althouse Cohen, who's nickname Jac. And then it hit me: It's April 12, and that's my blogiversary too! Number six for me...

When I started blogging in '03, it was a very different thing than it is now--participation in a hobby that several of my friends had started, and it was written for that small audience at first, as if everyone in the audience knew everyone else (I certainly never expected to have a SiteMeter or be read by people across the country). The early posts were so short that they could have fit on Twitter (a bandwagon on which, incidentally, I have yet to jump), and the first few months' worth didn't have titles; I'd go back and add those later as the Blogger software evolved.

And this blog evolved too; it's turned from a personal journal into something closer to the weekly column I used to write for the school paper in college (CD and concert reviews), with a bit of my old radio show thrown in (riffing on weird news stories, etc.). And while all that was a natural transition over time, I never expected, for example, that my review of the Maynard Ferguson tribute concert would get frontpaged on Maynard's website, resulting in hundreds of hits, or that my opinion of the UNT football stadium referendum would evidently be seen by quite a bit of the Mean Green community. And I certainly never imagined that people I would "meet" on here would become real friends in person.

It's been a fun ride so far, and even though I've been rather bad about starting posts on weekdays that don't get finished until the following weekend, I'll keep doing this as long as I feel like I have something to say and people keep stopping over. So thanks to all of you who continue to stop by; I'll do my best to make it worth your time.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Happy Easter AND Happy Blogiversary, Kev.

Kev said...

Thanks, Penny, for your kind words both here and at Althouse (where I responded to your inquiry as to what prompted me to start blogging).