Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Little April Foolishness

Jazz festival is over, and it went very well. The portion where all the schools performed went quite smoothly, the college band did a fine job, and Bob Mintzer is not only a wonderful player, but an extremely nice person to be around.

UPDATE: And I got a picture with him too.

Not a lot of sleep has been had for the past several days, and I have yet another full day ahead. Since it's April Fool's Day, rather than come up with some sort of elaborate prank, I figured I'd just pass on the two funniest jokes I heard all weekend (being around musicians, the jokes have to do with music, but most readers of this blog play or listen to music as it is, so I figure I'm not going too far out of my element here).

JOKE #1: A kid gets a guitar for his fifteenth birthday, and his dad decides to enroll him in lessons. After the first week, the dad comes home from work and asks his son, "So, Son, how did lessons go this week?" The son replied, "Oh, Dad, it was great! I learned the C chord!" He then proceeds to play the C chord over and over again, ad nauseam, driving the whole rest of the house crazy.

After the second week, the dad again comes home from work and asks his son, "So, Son, how did lessons go this week?" The son replied, "Oh, Dad, it was great! I learned the G chord!" He then proceeds to play the G chord over and over again, ad nauseam, driving the whole rest of the house crazy.

After the third week, the dad comes home from work and asks his son the same question. The son replies, "I didn't go to lessons this week." The dad looking surprised, says, "What do you mean, didn't go to lessons? What happened?"

The son replied, "I got a gig."

JOKE #2: Kenny G walks into an elevator and says, "Man, this place is happening!!"

Feel free to add your own (clean) music jokes, or tell me how much you liked/hated those two, in the comments.

They got the jump on foolishness: Eighteen students at a Long Island middle school got sick after some classmates laced their doughnuts with laxatives.

3 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

You mentioned the G Weasel by name. You ready for some banishment by the jazz community? :-)

Kev said...

Eric--LOL. I just wanted the joke to get as wide an audience as possible, so yes, I broke my own little rule just this once. (And of course you've just caused his stage name and our nickname for him to appear in the same post. Here's hoping his lawyers--the Weasel's weasels?--don't come after me now.)

Eric Grubbs said...

His lawyers won't come after you if you cover a number of current, popular love songs at your next gig. You know there's a huge difference between songs when they're covered on sax. :-)