Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beware the (Skinned) Hides of March?

Once I read this, it didn't matter whatever it was that I was going to blog about beforehand; this was so hilarious that I had to post it: Today was the fifth annual International Eat a Tasty Animal for PETA Day. If you think that PETA (which some have joked stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals") is way over the top in its views (pretty much wanting everyone to be vegan and not have pets) and tactics (including comparing the killing of animals for food to the Holocaust), then you'll probably get as big of a kick out of this "holiday" as much as I did. (I got a real laugh when I read that the author's friend's daughter refers to beef as "yummy cow." That goes nicely with the time a few years ago when my middle nephew called milk "cow juice.")

Read the whole thing, as well as this follow-up post, where several readers (including myself) posted their menu choices for today. (The ironic thing in my case is that I didn't even know about the holiday until I got home tonight, but upon reading the posts, I found that I was pretty much in full compliance.)

Hat tip: Tom Maguire, guest-blogging at Instapundit.

But you're only supposed to eat tasty animals; A middle-school student in Colorado found a mouse inside his bag of barbecue potato chips, and it appears not to have been a prank.

This animal should not have been eaten: A hunter in Austria mistook a housebroken pet pig for a wild boar and shot it, but he did return the carcass to its owner, who was forgiving enough to share the meat with him.

But these animals tried to turn the tables: Two stray cats got into a house in Nebraska and attacked three people inside.

No comments: