Thursday, June 30, 2005

Doesn't Your Heart Just Bleed for These Guys?

Oh yeah, this is how to win the fans back once the hockey strike is over:
Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick has some advice for hockey fans who blame the NHL lockout on players' greed: Once it's finally settled, stay home...

"We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey," he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

"...I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous ... we have tried so, so hard to get this game back on the ice," Roenick said. (source)
He goes on to talk about how much the players are going to "give up" to get a deal done, and how he thinks being aware of the "sacrifice" will be enough to get the fans back.

I've talked at length already about why I think that millionaire athletes don't need a union, so I won't repeat myself here. But Roenick's rant (which would be a good name for his site if he ever started blogging) just shows once again how disconnected many of these guys are with the world around them. If he thinks Joe Sixpack who earns $12.50 an hour will pony up fifty bucks a pop for hockey tickets next year because he identifies with the players' "sacrifice" (because whatever deal they get will be, oh, a bit in excess of Joe's salary), he's got another thing coming. Let him toil for a year in a "regular" job, and maybe he'll get some sorely-needed perspective on things.

Oh, an as a die-hard Texas Rangers fan, I was none too pleased to hear about Kenny Rogers' meltdown yesterday. Sure, he's been unhappy with the media all season, but Kenny....this hurts the team.

Incidentally, USA Today's Michael McCarthy links Rogers and Roenick to part of a bigger problem in sports: the two-headed dragon of "blame the fan, blame the media." Ugh. I bet this isn't the last of such incidents, I'm sorry to say.

Taking one from the Team: Over at the Team Demon/Dingus blog, we're losing our guitarist, and we're scrambling to find a place to do one last gig with him before he moves in late July.

7 comments:

James said...

Hmmm if I ever go over to America for a holiday, I will have to tie it in with seeing a gig of yours :)

Anonymous said...

As a hockey fan.. that really ticks me off. I'm sad that I have to see the day when they start whining about only being able to afford 3 Mercades and 1 giant house.

Here's some Michael Brecker news:
An Announcement on Mike Mainieri's website (read 1st paragraph)
Here's some medical babble on what it is.
I certainly didn't need to see all this first thing in the morning. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He needs all the help he can get.

Kev said...

G--could you please repost the "medical babble" link? For some reason, it just goes back to the top of this post.

Also, I noticed that Mainieri's post is from March 25, so maybe no news is good news? You'll recall that the only thing mentioned in the Burlington program was the vertebrae issue.

James--I hope you make it up here someday too, just as I want to go to your neck of the woods eventually.

Anonymous said...

Weird.. I'll repost the link.
Yeah, I sure hope no news is good news. *knocks on wood*

Anonymous said...

Annnd.. because I was a little quick on the draw with the "publish your comment button" you get another one.

NY Times mentioned Brecker's illness in an article on June 24th. I guess that's why the info is just starting to circulate.

Kev said...

Here's the NYT story that mentions Brecker, in case anyone's interested.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking that, Kev.
I sure have a URL linking issue today.