Friday, February 13, 2004

Kev, Live from TMEA, Part 2

"Jazz is played from the heart. You can even live by it. Always love it."
--Louis Armstrong (1965)

The above quote is featured prominently on the wall of The Landing, the storied jazz club in the Hyatt Regency on the San Antonio Riverwalk which I visited last night for the first time in several years. Jim Cullum and his cohorts have been holding court since 1964, playing the traditional New Orleans-style jazz that some call Dixieland (though I understand that the practitioners thereof shun that term). There was a lot of fine musicianship on that stage; special kudos to the clarinetist, who was all over the place (Woody, you would've loved it). Some hardcore boppers thumb their noses at this style, but it really is played from the heart, and it is the basis for all we do today, so it's all good with me.

Other than that, this TMEA has been all about the vacation. There aren't a lot of clinics that interest me, so I've been chilling with Miles and his dad, having Fizbucks with Starban Starbucks with Fizban and company and just relishing the fact that I'm not going 200 miles an hour like I usually do. Oh, and it's probably the coldest TMEA in recent memory also...and rainy today. Ewww. It was so cold on the morning Starbucks run that I actually used the hood on my hoodie (ever notice that? Everyone wears hoodies nowadays but the hood itself is mostly a prop). They're predicting snow for Dallas tomorrow, so the trip back may be interesting. (I may be coming back tomorrow after all, as almost all of my friends are bailing to get back for Valentine's stuff; we'll see.)

I'm gonna keep enjoying the break for now. Enjoyed TCU Jazz last night (Micah wailed as always) and will catch the Metropolitan Winds this afternoon. I'll report more when I get the chance; 'till then, Kev out.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "No, I have absolutely no idea who that is either."--Me, to Miles, as I ran into yet another person who recognized me but whose name escaped me at the moment.

No comments: