- MONDAY: "The Philadelphia Experiment" by a group of the same name. Uri Caine, Christian McBride and Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson celebrate their hometown in funky fashion.
- TUESDAY: Oktoposse, "Blues Lee -- Volume III." Occasionally wacky German octet puts out some seriously good music, and the five horns sound like a big band at times.
- WEDNESDAY: The Monterey Quartet, "Live at the 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival." Dave Holland, Chris Potter, Gonzalo Rubalcaba + Eric Harland = win.
- THURSDAY: Mike Mainieri, "Wanderlust." Early '80s effort from vibist/Steps Ahead leader hints at that band's US debut, with generous helpings of Michael Brecker along the way.
- FRIDAY: LTC + Mark Turner, "Hikmet." American tenorist and Italian trio unite on a tuneful romp of mostly originals, plus interesting versions of "Skylark" and "Love Theme from Spartacus."
- SATURDAY: Jaga Jazzist, "One-Armed Bandit." Norwegian band (featuring ECM trumpeter Mathias Eick) mixes jazz with electronics and all kinds of other stuff.
- SUNDAY: Happy Apple, "Happy Apple Back On Top." Improv-laden Minnesota-based trio featuring The Bad Plus' David King on drums.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Playing This Week in the Kevmobile
I haven't been able to blog much recently (though a few posts have been started and will ultimately appear in their proper places), but here's my weekly music rundown: