Thursday, December 07, 2006

For Those Who Remember

I'm still pretty much too swamped to write blog posts until the weekend, but I had to take time out to acknowledge the anniversary of the Day That Will Live in Infamy, because of an article that I read in this morning's paper: The Pearl Harbor survivors get together every five years to commemorate the occasion, but this year's gathering will be the last; most of the guys who were there are in their 80s or 90s and don't expect to be around for a commemoration of the 70th anniversary.

Read the whole story, and pause a moment like I did. Remember their mottos: "Remember Pearl Harbor" and "Keep America Alert." We're witnessing the passing of a generation, the likes of whom we might not see again; it's a different world today, isn't it? And to those who served...all I can say is thank you, and rest assured that there are people among us who will take your words to heart.

(And happy birthday to James, half a world away.)

2 comments:

James said...

thanks mate :)

Gary P. said...

My grandfather enlisted in the Navy and served on a carrier (USS Wake Island) instead of going to college when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

He's in his early 80's now, and I still wouldn't want to tangle with him. He lives near where Hurricane Rita made landfall, and he rode the storm out in the same house he weathered Hurricane Audrey in '57. After Rita passed, he was out the next day clearing brush and debris from his property.

I sure hope I got some of his longevity genes from my dad!

We're witnessing the passing of a generation, the likes of whom we might not see again

That's pretty obvious. We as a nation don't have the patience or the tolerance for casualties (both civilian and military) that we had in the 1940's. Much was made when we passed the "grim milestone" of 2000 US killed during the entire Iraq operation, but we lost 80,000 soldiers in the Battle of the Bulge.

I think it's sad that as a nation we've gone from this

World War II poster

to this

pathetic surrender document

in just 65 short multiculturally diverse tolerant years.