Saturday, January 28, 2006

Notes from the Road (Stephenville Edition, Part 3)

For some reason, this particular trip always generates some blogworthy material; here's the latest collection:
  • While passing through the town of Tolar on the way there, I saw a place called "Aloha Donuts." That made me laugh, because the first place everyone thinks of when buying donuts is Hawaii, right?

  • In that same town, there was a closed gas station that still had its prices posted. The price for regular unleaded was listed at $1.08 a gallon. I wondered how long it had been since gas was that cheap...

  • In the nearby town of Bluff Dale, the sign at the entrance to town read:
    PRAY FOR RAIN
    BURN BAN ON
    PLEASE NO HOT PANTS
    I wonder if the younger citizens even know what "hot pants" are...

  • Evidently, a lot of local elections are coming up, and I saw some campaign signs for people named "Tonna," "Donlita" and "Chili." I think Chili (which was a nickname, but I've forgotten his real name) was running for district attorney, and I was wondering if that name made him any less threatening to potential criminals.

  • Bumper sticker of the day:
    YES, THIS IS MY PICKUP
    NO, I WON'T HELP YOU MOVE
    (Seen on--of course--a pickup truck that also had a Domino's sign on it. No wonder he didn't want to help anyone move; he drives enough as it is.)
This continues to be my favorite roadtrip, driving-wise, of all my chapters, probably because it's the only one that's not almost all freeway. It's nice to stop and smell the proverbial roses for a while, especially when some of them are so colorful.

Previous Notes from the Road (Stephenville Edition):
Part I
Part 2

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "You can't catch old."--One of the guys at the workshop, when we were discussing performing at nursing homes and how some college students seem reluctant to interact with the residents, as if they were contagious or something.

No comments: