Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Jazz Horror Story

This was audition day at the college (that, and a zillion other things, explains the sparsity of posting so far this week), and during the process, I heard a horrible story for the first time: Evidently, when Michael Bolton originally recorded "Georgia On My Mind" (and no, Bolton isn't the scariest part of this story), the solo was recorded by the legendary Michael Brecker (anyone caught an update on his health recently?). But some sort of record-company PR person wanted to be able to have the solo performed live on tour. When they realized that Bolton was about to go on tour with the G-weasel, they had Brecker's solo scrubbed from the recording (!), and the G-weasel went in to cut another one instead, just so they could play it together on the road.

My response to that: The record-company person should be summarily executed for crimes against humanity. Oh, and wouldn't replacing Brecker with the G-weasel be like taking the filet mignon off your banquet table and replacing it with peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches on moldy bread?

(Who is the G-weasel, you may ask? I'm not gonna slam him by name in print, because I'm sure he has better lawyers than I do. But Pat Metheny did, which increased my respect for Pat a thousandfold. A few of my friends coined the term "G-weasel" a few years ago, and I liked it, so it stuck. I'll also refer to him in the same way that Hogwarts students refer to Voldemort--He Whose Name Must Never Be Spoken. Heh.)

Spin cycle: A guy in Australia had to be rescued after getting stuck in the washing machine while playing hide-and-seek with his kids.

3 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

Mr. Gorelick put out some fantastic solo singles back in the 80s and early 90s. Then he started harboring the delusion that cover songs worked better than originals for singles . . .

Anonymous said...

"I heard a horrible story for the first time.."
Your facial expression was priceless. :P

James said...

hahaha I laughed a lot at that washing machine story!