Monday, December 27, 2004

This Post Came in Little Tupperware Containers

OK, I'm back; the trip yesterday went without incident, save for being stuck in a mini-rush hour just south of Conroe. They've done a great job widening I-45 up to the San Jacinto River, but the need to expand the bridges over said river means that the project stops there, and the narrowing of the freeway down to two lanes added thirty minutes onto my journey. At least I didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time.

On my way out of town, I did indulge in the tiniest of guilty pleasures, as I saved room at lunch for a snack stop at James Coney Island, my favorite hot dog place since high school. They so need to bring this place to Dallas...

And now, like the dinner I'm about to make reheat for myself in a few minutes, here are the leftovers--things I didn't get to post about in the past few days due to my limited computer time:

A little more on the snow thing: Not only did it snow in the southern suburbs of Houston, it also went all the way down to the coast, hitting Corpus Christi and Galveston, among other places. There was a picture in the paper yesterday of a snowman on the Galveston beach, and it was one of the most surreal things I've ever seen.

On my way back, I saw a great billboard advertising the arrival of four white tigers to Landry's Downtown Aquarium (no, the tigers don't swim), and it talked about how it would be a "white Christmas" in Houston this year. Little did they know...

Farewell to a classy skipper: Lost in the Christmas weekend (and now likely overshadowed by the untimely passing of Reggie White yesterday) was the news that former Texas Rangers manager Johnny Oates passed away on Friday. Besides being the manager who led the Rangers to three division titles in the '90s, he was also a fine human being according to everyone connected with him during his long tenure in baseball. I'm glad that he was able, while battling a brain tumor, to come back during the '03 season for his induction into the Rangers Hall of Fame's inaugural class, and I hope to be able to make the game next season where his number 26 will be retired. Between the losses of Oates and White, it's been a fairly somber holiday weekend in the world of sports.

Baby boom: This holiday was the most time that I've ever spent with two kids under the age of five. It was awesome to hang with my nephews, but it was also mind-boggling how much energy that they not only expend but also require of any adult in the vicinity. I have all kinds of respect for my sister for doing what she does practically 24/7. I surely look forward to the day when I'll have a few of these of my own, but I also see how parenthood, if done properly, is a full-time job in and of itself.

This is a lazy week ahead, so I'll probably be back to daily posts this week. Those of you who know me personally are more than aware that I'm rarely at a loss for things to talk about...

2 comments:

Eric Grubbs said...

I still don't understand why I-45 in Conroe backs up on the southbound side during rush hour. Northbound I can understand, but I always experience a slow-down around Chricton Road. Luckily, that's where I turn off.

James Coney Island: I think I had this once. I think it was at the one in Humble off 1960. It was good but my stomach always feels like it's expanding like a blowfish expands when I eat a hot dog.

Kev said...

Yeah, I've never figured the southbound thing either (and you're right, it's always at the Crighton exit) since the number of lanes doubles about a mile later. But the northbound trip was even worse than usual on Sunday; I guess a lot of people had to go back to work yesterday. At least they have "road work ahead" signs in that stretch; maybe the bridges will be expanded and it'll get to be three lanes all the way through Conroe before long.