Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Hanging of the (Monde)greens

Last year during the holidays, I mentioned an entry at snopes.com concerning "mondegreens," which means a way to describe what results from mis-hearing lyrics to a song. (The origin of the word "mondegreens" is explained in their post as well; I still say it sounds like a really upscale drugstore--maybe with a live piano player right next to the pharmacy.) Now Snopes has updated the list, which once again had me rolling on the floor. Some of the best ones include "Deck the halls with Buddy Holly" and "Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire," but my favorite of all time is still "We want some friggin' pudding." Check this one out for sure.

UPDATE: I don't know why this didn't occur to me when I originally wrote this post, but my nephew Noah came up with a great mondegreen that my sister sent me last week (many of the mis-hearings of songs do in fact come from young kids). They were listening to a Christmas CD in the car that had songs from all the great animated TV specials, and this was his take on "Frosty the Snowman":
Frosty the Snowman
was a jobby happy so
with a clock tower and a funny nose
and toys made out of coal
(In case you missed the earlier post, "clock tower" is Noah's way of saying "cocktail hour," so my sister mused that perhaps Frosty had a funny nose from drinking too much clock tower. Heh.)

No comments: