Monday, August 16, 2004

Rants and Raves from the First Day of School

Two rants:

This getting up early thing is gonna hit me like a ton of bricks again. I barely dragged my carcass out of bed at 7 8:00 this morning, so 6:00 will be a mess tomorrow.

The security at middle schools is getting ridiculous; I was admonished for not "flashing my badge" in an obvious enough manner at a school where previously, even though you have to get buzzed into the front door, I was able to walk by looking like I knew what I was doing and not get questioned. They need to install those things where you swipe your ID badge (it has a barcode for such a purpose) and walk in...sooner rather than later.

Two raves:

I was able to "traverse the district" and post schedules at six different schools in a little over two hours. I was thus free of the shackles of professional attire before noon, and got to hang with Halfling for part of the day before I went to teach at the store.

Despite the fact that I've said I wasn't quite ready for the semester to start, once I actually got in the schools it felt OK. I'm prepped now. I'm ready to go in the morning, and I'm looking forward to the semester. It was great to be able to have another little half-day of summer, though...

No cape, glasses on: I was doing some shopping today during a break from teaching. Super Target didn't have what I wanted, so I went by a Regular Target, which hasn't happened all that often recently. The one at 75 and Parker had just been remodeled, though, so I was interested in seeing the difference.

And the verdict is? It's not all that different, really. It's pretty close to a Super Target, actually, just a tad smaller. They still just have the one entrance at the front, but they added a little grocery department (about 1/3 of the size of the one at ST) and a Starbucks up front. I had to really hunt for the CD/DVD department (it's cleverly hidden in the back), but otherwise...I'd still rather visit a Regular Target than the Evil Empire any day of the week.

No comments: