Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Two Interesting Takes on a Holiday Classic

On Facebook tonight, I noted that "Leroy Anderson's great-grandkids just got another 25 cents in their college fund"--meaning that a band at the school concert I attended played the classic holiday chestnut by Anderson, "Sleigh Ride." While the band played a very traditional version of the song, a little more scrolling down my Facebook news feed brought me to two unusual renditions.

The first one is pretty much from the "it's so bad, it's good" category:



But this one, in 7/8 time, is really cool:



While Leroy's grandkids might demand extra royalties for the bad version, the 7/8 one would likely make them smile, as it did me.

What's the most unusual version of a Christmas song you've ever heard?

1 comment:

Colin Hinton said...

I did a solo drumset christmas record a few years ago