Thursday, May 12, 2011

Teachers Say the Darnedest Things (Sometimes When Prompted By Kids)

Sometimes kids prompt me to say the darnedest things:

KID (coming into his first lesson after a big audition over the weekend): So what are we gonna do today?
ME: Same thing we do every day, Pinky...try and take over the world.

(The kids we passed by in the hall seemed amused, if nothing else.)

There was some debate on Facebook as to whether or not a kid that young would be familiar with Pinky and the Brain, or the Animaniacs in general, but my informal, unscientific survey--consisting of every kid I taught after this went up over there--shows that most of them actually do know the show. (And it still warms my heart that most high school kids I know can quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail as well as I could when I was their age.)

No comments: