Thursday, June 24, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

One year ago at this time, I was coming out of knee surgery. I would soon be wheeled out to my parents' car, where I would ride home awkwardly stretched out across the back seat. I would spent the next two days unable to walk at all without assistance, and I would learn exactly how bad daytime TV really is.

The rehab and recovery is well-documented within these pages (just click the tag at the bottom of this post to read about that process, as well as the accident that caused the whole thing), but suffice it to say, I'm thankful that everything has turned out about as well as it possibly could.

I still need to strengthen my quad muscles a bit more, which, ironically, is most helped by going up and down stairs--the source of all the problems in the first place. But since Casa de Kev is a one-story, I tend to only get this exercise at the college (and at church, when they open the balcony). But most of the time, it's easy to forget that I even had a knee problem in the first place.

One thing is certain: There are plenty of things I don't take for granted anymore. Being able to sit down without one leg protruding out, getting from place to place in a reasonable time without easily tiring, being able to fit in any vehicle (not to mention things like stadium bleachers), being able to sleep in other ways besides on my back--these are all things that I couldn't do for a while last year. And I never, ever complain when I see a large number of empty handicapped parking places at a time when all the other places are filled.

The healing began one year ago today. May the progress continue for the foreseeable future...

Blowing out the candles: Happy birthday to my buddy Zack, a recurring character in this blog since day one, and the first person who ever sent me a link to that crazy new thing called a "blog" around nine years ago.

No comments: