Friday, May 11, 2007

Kids Say the Darnedest Things, Part XXV

As a teacher, I often encounter really humorous stuff (sometimes on purpose, sometimes not) said by the kids I teach. Here are some more:

SIXTH-GRADER: I rememberized my chromatic scale already.
(At least he had the basic idea of what he meant to say.)

And then the next kid came in...

SIXTH-GRADER #2: I don't got stuff.
ME: What's that?
SIXTH-GRADER #2: I don't got my check. My brother has the chicken pox, so we're focusing on that right now.
(I was laughing too hard at that to get mad at him for forgetting the money.)

And I never did post one from this same kid from a few months ago. He was playing a piece with two flats in it and kept missing the E-flats. That set up the following exchange:

ME: Someone kidnapped the E-flat! It's the case of the missing E-flat....
SIXTH-GRADER #2: Who cares? Who cares about flats? Sharps are what matter. The E-flat is like some wannabe off the streets. The F-sharp is the president.

There's rarely a dull moment in my job...

This circumstance deserves a little pomp: With a lot of college graduation ceremonies taking place this weekend, among the cap-and-gown wearers at Fort Hays State University in Kansas tomorrow will be a 95-year-old great-grandmother, who should break the Guinness world record for the oldest person ever to graduate from college.

Another outstanding achievement: Last week, a blind pilot successfully flew from London to Sydney.

No comments: