Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Pause to Remember

I would like to take time out from the usual levity and commentary just to have a virtual "moment of silence" for the five Indiana University music students who lost their lives when their small plane crashed yesterday en route from West Lafayette back to Bloomington. Even though I didn't know any of them, nor were any evidently affiliated with my fraternity (but believe me, my heart was in my throat when I read the list of names, since I do know one person in grad school up there), the music world is small enough that I think we all feel it whenever one of our own (much less five) are lost. Indiana and my alma mater, UNT, have had a healthy rivalry over the years, jockeying back and forth to claim the title of largest non-conservatory music school in the nation, but today we put those rivalries aside as we most certainly feel their loss. My heart goes out to them and their friends and families, and the IU community at large.

1 comment:

Ms. Worley said...

I went to IU for a semester and actually missed the news of this unfortunate incident until I returned from New York. As it turns out, the owner and pilot of the plane was the longtime roommate of a friend of mine that graduated from Plano East with me. I'm not really trying to have a shout-out on this one. Just echoing the sentiment. I know I have a bunch of friends up there that were really hurt by this loss.