Monday, May 26, 2008

Take a Moment to Remember

In just about thirty minutes from now, if you're in my time zone, please take a minute to remember those who have given their lives for our nation, as the President has requested:
The president is...calling on Americans to observe a "moment of remembrance" at 3 p.m. local time to honor those who perished fighting for freedom. Heeding the president's request, the moment will be observed by Major League Baseball. Also, Amtrak trains will all sound their horns and buglers will play taps at military cemeteries.
I wanted to make sure and get this post up before 3:00 my time; I'll be back later with more thoughts.

LATER: I wanted to share a few good things I've read today with you: First, a speech by Donald Sensing entitled "For the Fallen," given to a group of Gold Star Mothers in 2005, and second, a reflection on his captivity by Sam Johnson, a former POW who now represents this area in Congress. (Call it full disclosure or simply interesting trivia, but one of Rep. Johnson's granddaughters is a former student of mine.)

As a longtime teacher, I have a few alumni (who are friends now, as well) who are currently in the armed services. Thankfully, none of them are among the fallen, but I still take this opportunity to recognize their service each year at this time. So continued Godspeed to Fletch and Scott and Josh and John; may you stay safe yourselves, while helping to keep the world that way for the rest of us.

One more person to remember today: R.I.P. Thelma Keane, wife and business partner of cartoonist Bil Keane, and inspiration for the "Mommy" character in The Family Circus.

No comments: