Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Class of '08

I realized at the beginning of the year that not only did I have very few seniors (four, to be exact), but they were all from the same school; that's never happened before in my entire teaching career. Who knows why more saxophones from the Class of '08 didn't continue on with band (or at least with private instruction), but I'm happy to have been able to work with these four for the duration of high school (a couple of them even longer than that).

So here's a shout-out to Philip, John, Lauren and Shelbie. Even though none of you are going into music as a course of study, I hope you'll keep it in your hearts (and I'm really happy that at least two of you have decided to play in college). One of the things that I've found out from teaching the night group at my own college (which features a lot of non-traditional students) is that music is something you can always take with you, and you can always come back, even after a long layoff.

Best of luck to you all in the future; it's been a pleasure.

No comments: