Friday, March 16, 2007

St. Patrick's Eve Was Mean to the Green

When the clock moved to 11:30 this morning, all activity of the house-fixing-up variety stopped for me. My visiting parents continued their quest, but they understood why I went in and planted myself on the couch: My alma mater was playing in March Madness for the first time in 19 years.

Unfortunately, as you may already know, it didn't work out this time. The Mean Green actually led by as many as six points in the first half, but things fell apart before halftime, and UNT ended up losing to Memphis, 73-58. That was three points better than their 1988 loss to North Carolina, but this time, the Green were actually in it for a large portion of the game.

I think this bodes well for the future. Johnny Jones appears to have built something good in Denton, and not all of the top players are seniors this time around. I congratulate them on a great season (which included the most wins in school history), and I'm hoping they can build on this year and do something unprecedented in '08: Make it to the Big Dance for a second straight time.

Coin without a face: I have yet to personally received one of the new presidential dollar coins, but I've heard that some of them had small defects, such as the words IN GOD WE TRUST being missing from the side. But Billy Idol could indeed write a song about the Colorado couple who found one that had nothing at all stamped on either face.

Good sport of the week: A Pennsyvlania nurse, listening to her landlord testify in court in a complaint against her, ended up performed CPR on the landlord when she began exhibiting signs of having trouble breathing.

To protect, to serve...and to smell lemony-fresh: A town in India is commissioning new uniforms for its police officers to help them to emit a pleasing and sweat-free scent when interacting with the local citizenry.

No comments: